Broken Down on the Side of the Highway

On Monday, my mother flew into town for the week. Then I had to jump on my bike heading to London to help my brother unload his moving truck into storage. I decided to spend the night in London since we finished unloading at 10 pm and I was exhausted. We had a few well-deserved drinks then went to bed.

The next morning, I wanted to get on the road quickly, so I skipped the shower, had a coffee and got underway. Everything went fine until I passed Woodstock. My bike started losing speed and my throttle became unresponsive. I pulled over and let the bike cool down. Then tried to start it back up. It did, but soon stalled out again. Using the toolkit from the bike, I removed the speedo and signals to see that my coolant was empty. On the side of the 401, I called my brother, who was still sleeping. He offered to pick up coolant and drive out to me. When he arrived, I filled the coolant reserve (over-filling, as the case may be) The bike started up, ran a little rough, then smoothed out. Stuart said he’d follow me along and make sure every thing went well to the next rest stop. Unfortunately, I didn’t make it more than a km and a half before the bike died again. Once more, we took to the road and once more, the bike died.

Finally, after this, I called a tow service. He came in good time, meaning it took another hour to show up. So, all told, I spent 4 hours on the side of the road getting a bad sunburn, spent more money than I ever meant to and at this point, my bike still doesn’t work.

However, to look on the bright side, it wasn’t raining. If I’d left the night before as I initially intended, I’d be on the side of the road, in the dark and alone. Stuart would have been drinking and wouldn’t have been able to drive. I also may not have got the same tow truck driver (who turned out to be a really good guy and managed to get me a really good deal for the tow). So… silver lining.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *