Category Archives: tutorial

Creating a wordmark

The above image is the wordmark for a new project I’m hoping to start soon. More on that on a future date.

I thought I’d just do a post on how I came up with this wordmark. Probably because when I started, I asked a designer friend of mine to do it since I was afraid of doing it myself. Have you ever heard the phrase “Throw enough shit at the wall to see what sticks?” It’s used commonly in the advertising industry in brainstorming. They call it brainstorming I call it monkey-poo. They’re the same thing and completely valid, but come on, monkey-poo is funnier.

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, I’m no designer. However, for the last 6 months, I’ve been playing with design and typography so I wasn’t completely adverse to attempting this.

I digress, here’s monkey-poo;

As you can see, I just typed Influential in different font faces to see if anything stuck out. There are likely easier ways to do this, but I look at a big page with ton of the exact same word in different faces and I can see things that stand out. A curve here, a heavy letter there.

After looking at the above image for a while (I confess to about half an hour) I knew I didn’t like any of them. So I did a quick font look to see if anything pops out;

That’s when I saw it. Bauhaus 93

I liked its weight (it’s heavy, really heavy). But I didn’t want just heavy. I wanted flow. I wanted curves. I also wanted something the word implies: influence. I wanted the letters to influence each other.

So I started looking at the individual letters. Starting with the I. In essence, I grabbed the f and copied its curve;

Then I thought, the L is basically just an uppercase I, right? So I flipped it and voilà! An L!

You might also notice that the I is now thinner. I matched the width of the L.

Then my focus shifted to the n and the u. I knew I’d be flipping the u as an echo of the n, so really my focus shifted to the n. To get what I wanted, I added a triangle to the corner of the n.

So here I am, the I, the L, the n and u are where I want them. The lowercase i is simply a shorter I with the ever-so-important dot.

As might be noticed, I’ve concentrated on what could be considered the easy characters. So I stayed in the vein with the easily solved f and t. My decision is to simply add a second rectangle so the character is balanced, copy and flip vertically. That’s right, once again, I am reusing the character;

On to the characters that legitimately scared me; a and e. Starting with the a. For a, I chose to make two circles and add a triangle. I mean, it took some time to figure out that’s what I wanted to do, but not much and that’s that;

I am so close now I can taste it.

The last letter to figure out is the e. To be fair, this was/is a tough one. I’m happy with it, but not over the moon about it. It is a flipped a with a strike-through, essentially.

And that is that. With some tightening, a lot of tweaking for alignment, I arrive at;

If you want to see the iterations as I progressed, here they are: